palazzo strozzi history

Its dominating cornice is typical of the Florentine palaces of the time. After a long period during which the Strozzi family lived mainly in Rome, the palazzo was renovated by Prince Piero Strozzi between 1886 and 1889. The construction of the palace was begun in 1489[1] by Benedetto da Maiano, for Filippo Strozzi the Elder, a rival of the Medici who had returned to the city in November 1466 and desired the most magnificent palace to assert his family's continued prominence and, perhaps more important,[2] a political statement of his own status. This introduced a problem new in Renaissance architecture, which, given the newly felt desire for internal symmetry of planning symmetry: how to integrate the cross-axis. After a long history, it is now a cultural centre hosting major international exhibitions, fashion shows and other cultural events. Symbols and places mentioned in Dan Brown’s novel Inferno, and much more about Florence, By clicking on "Subscribe" you agree to receive our newsletter. The palazzo has mullioned paired windows (bifore); the radiating voussoirs of the arches increase in length as they rise to the keystone, a detail that was much copied for arched windows set in rustication in the Renaissance revival. Palazzo Strozzi was commissioned by the Florentine merchant Filippo Strozzi. Purchased by the state in 1998, it was granted to the Comune di Firenze for use, once again, as a venue for cultural activities and exhibitions. His family was one of the wealthiest in Florence and the most important rivals of the Medici family. It remained in the family until 1937 when it was bought by the INA, the Istituto Nazionale delle Assicurazioni. Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. Its dominating cornice is typical of the Florentine palaces of the time. Unlike the Medici Palace, which was situated on a corner lot, and thus has only two sides, Palazzo Strozzi is surrounded on all four sides by streets and is a free-standing structure. The Art of the Guggenheim Collections at Palazzo Strozzi brings to Florence an extraordinary collection of European and American modern art from the period between the 1920s and 1960s. Situated between Piazza Strozzi and via Tornabuoni in the heart of Florence, the city in which Dan Brown’s novel Inferno is set, Palazzo Strozzi is one of the finest examples of Renaissance domestic architecture. The palazzo has mullioned paired windows (bifore); the radating voussoirs of the arches increase in length as they rise to the keystone, a detail that was much copied for arched windows set in rustication in the Renaissance revival. This page was last modified on 21 June 2015, at 06:31. The Palazzo was only finished in 1538. Palazzo Strozzi is a palace in Florence, Italy. Today the palace is used for international expositions like the now-annual antique show, founded as the Biennale dell'Antiquariato in 1959, fashion shows and other cultural and artistic events, such as "Cézanne in Florence. The Villa is linked to the popular uprising called “tumulto dei Ciompi”. The palace will be returned to the Strozzi in 1568. Also by Cronaca is the cortile or central courtyard surrounded by an arcade,[7] inspired by Michelozzo. From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core, Heather Gregory, "The Return of the Native: Filippo Strozzi and Medicean Politics", Richard Goldthwaite, "The building of the Strozzi palace: the construction industry in Renaissance Florence", "Palazzo Strozzi in official website of Tourism of Tuscany", https://infogalactic.com/w/index.php?title=Palazzo_Strozzi&oldid=647904, Commons category link is defined as the pagename, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, About Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core. Giuliano da Sangallo provided a wood model of the design. Giuliano da Sangallo provided a wood model of the design. Piazza Strozzi 50123 Firenze, Istituto Nazionale di Studi sul Rinascimento, Gabinetto Scientifico Letterario G.P. The mission of the Palazzo Strozzi Foundation USA, in this era of globalization, is to preserve the values of openness and creativity of the Renaissance, one of the foundations of the Enlightenment and of modern Western … History of the Palazzo. The banker Filippo Strozzi commissioned the palace as a residence for his sons. Great changes were made to the building when the Istituto Nazionale delle Assicurazioni occupied Palazzo Strozzi. The palace was left incomplete by Simone del Pollaiolo (il Cronaca), who was in charge of the construction of the palace until 1504. At the beginning of the eighteenth century the Chapel was built, replacing a smaller one that was inside the Villa, and it was decorated with ceramics by Della Robbia (today lost).

Mortgage Lifter Tomato Problems, Extensor Carpi Radialis Longus Exercises, Terrorizer Albums Of The Year, Benefits Of Reading Newspaper In Kannada, English Literature Its History And Significance By Long Pdf, Manchester Middle School, Toyota Prius 2013, Farmhouse Pendant Lighting, Recumbent Trike Brands, Biodiversity And Ecosystem Services Pdf, King Of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Ps4 Review, Region 7 Provinces, The Adventures Of Pinocchio Book, Egbeda Zip Code, Arthur Phillip High School Subjects, Mekanism Digital Miner To Mine 0, Lazarbeam Song Yeet, Chiang Hsiao-kang, Whirlpool 6th Sense Dryer Manual, Ronald L Olson Net Worth, Dark Mode Iphone Better For Eyes, Supernanny The Park Family, Colliers International Us Headquarters, Seated Cable Incline Press,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*